Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Trying to lose 20 lbs in 72 days

3/16/10 - Okay, here goes! I'm going to try and lose 20 lbs by May 29th! This ought to be interesting, considering that I'm pretty much a sedentary type of person. I used to be quite active, danced ballet at least 4 to 5 hours about four times a week, used to be on a swim team, used to keep up with my kids.................all used to's. Now, I kind of just sit around, don't do much because it makes my back hurt too much. I injured my back in a "ballet mishap" back in 1987. I was performing in a can-can 'en pointe' and I had to do some really fast fouette' turns. I hit a chink in the stage floor with my toe shoe, and fell out of the turns...........had I been in a rehearsal I would have gone flying off to the side of the stage and caught myself, thus avoiding a fall and injury..........but, this wasn't a rehearsal. So, I tried to save the turns, I did a couple soutenu turns in place, then I resumed the fouette turns. But fate had it that I would hit that chink in the stage a second time, and this time I lost my balance while turning, and going backwards at the same time. My right leg whipped out of the turn, I caught the stage with my right leg under me and since my momentum was turning to the right, I ended up in a crouched position on my right leg and the force of coming down on my leg and basically being folded in half as I hit the floor, caused my right fibula to break and the nerves in my 5th lumbar vertebrae be exposed.

Needless to say, it's been 23 years since the "ballet mishap" and I have had pain everyday since. Thus, losing weight will be a struggle...........but, I'm willing to try.

8 comments:

  1. Well, since I posted that last thread, I have not lost an ounce, I haven't tried. I'm going to be fat for the rest of my life, which isn't very long. Pish......I'm too much of a procrastinator, or maybe I have focusing problms...but, I don't seem to be able to accomplish much of anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that posting was just what it was.....posting. I did not lose the 20 lbs. I was wanting to lose the weight for my son's wedding, but, ended up being too busy, and too tired to do any of what I would have liked to accomplish. Now, it's 8 months later and I've only gained weight not lost. I just joined what I lovingly call "Weighty Waddlers" and I will be attending my second meeting this Thursday. I weighed in at 207. I am ashamed to admit that, but maybe putting my weight out here in print and leaving it here for all to see will give me some sort of accountability to myself? Not sure, but there you go. We'll see what happens. I think I'll be checking in on a weekly basis, posting my weight after each meeting, and talking about my struggles to lose this very hefty spare tire. In fact, I don't think a spare tire weighs as much as what I have around my middle at this time. My ultimate goal is to lose 50 lbs.

    I'm going to check out zumba too! I'll let you know when I get into a class or buy a dvd. I'm leaning towards the dvd, but a class would keep me accountable also. I'll have to think about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Trace...I keep trying too...so hard! I'll have to check out zumba. I keep hearing about it!

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sally! I have yet to go see if I can get a dvd of Zumba. I know it's got a latin dance base, and sounds like it's fun. I'll let you know when I get it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, today's "dieting" went well. I have managed to eat within my points, all the while managing to have a Starbucks VIA with heavy cream! If I had not added the heavy cream to the drink, it would only have been one point value food. when I'm only allowed 29 points per day, a drink like that with only one point value is a huge treat! I've also researched and found that Trader Joe's frozen Select Oatmeal only has 4 points. Really good steel cut oatmeal, fills you up for a long time and is really good! If anyone reading this likes steel cut oats, these are really good! Now for some water!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This afternoon is my second WW meeting. I'm tempted to post my weight every week, but I don't want to admit the weight I've reached, therein lies the dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, the WW meeting last Thursday was good. I have friends there, a gal Yogi grew up with and her husband go, so it's nice to have that connection. I don't care for the leader of these meetings, she's nice, but when she speaks she flutters her eyelids, and she doesn't make eye contact with people in the room. She also closes her eyes as she speaks, which really is annoying when you're going to a meeting of this kind, to have the person who is to inspire and motivate you, to not have a real connection visually is just really not a selling point for this program. I will still go, but this lady needs some lessons. She also, does this little "woohoo" thing when she's handing out awards and congratulation people on their weight loss, it's just kind of lack luster. I know she's there because she wants to be, but, she really needs to put some effort into her enthusiasm.

    I love .4 lbs. We'll see what this Thursday brings. I walked tonight, about 20 minutes. Just me and the dog. Was a good walk, I am glad that I live in a neighborhood that is hilly, as it gives me some change in effort exerted without having to push myself as I would on a flat terrain. I'm going to try to walk every night for the rest of the week, and eventually I'll get to where I can add the really steep hill north of the house. Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't LOVE .4 lbs! I LOST .4 lbs. DOH!

    ReplyDelete